Course on PizzaTheoretical and practical lessons on pizza: the excellence of the ingredients, doughs, yeast, different types of pizza, with the opportunity of a training period at pizzerias of medium-high level.
ICIF has devised, in collaboration with the Academy of Pizza makers, a new training Course: the Course on Pizza. The training programme adopts an integrated approach, teaching both the theory and the practical skills necessary to join a profession that is considered a popular, cultural and social phenomenon which is typically Italian, in continual growth both in Italy and abroad. The Course is in Italian language and teachers are supported by an interpreter in English language.
Minimum number of participants: 12.
The Course has a total duration of 8 weeks:
- 3 weeks of theoretical and practical lessons at the Institute
- 5 weeks of internship (optional) at pizzerias that will be previously selected by the Institute.
Those who can enroll are:
- Italian and foreign professionals of food and wine
- Italian and foreign food lovers and enthusiasts
The Pizza: an Italian popular product which has become a worldwide social and cultural phenomenon
- ICIF: a frame of reference
- History and traditions of Pizza
- The profession of pizza maker
- A growing market
- Food raw materials
- Flour: classifications, types, quality and use
- Water: a resource to be exploited
- Salts: selection and management of a basic element
- The ingredients: a choice that characterizes us, the importance of seasonality and territoriality
- The classical Pizza and the pan pizza
The doughs and yeasts
- Proving: the secrets of an ancient art
- Direct dough.
- Dough: the fermentation and the leavening
- Dough: the maturing phase.
- The dough and the support equipment
- The oven: the heart of the pizzeria
- Pizza baking: techniques and dexterity
Pizza: notions and concepts
- Design of the laboratory: the context and perspectives, the revenues and the profit margins
- Take-away Pizza: delivery and its regulations
- Focaccia, paddle pizza and bread in the pizzeria
- The organic sector and alternative ways establishing a clientele
- The acrobatic Pizza
- Indirect doughs (The Biga – The Poolish)
- Alternative dough with different flours (ex: Kamut flour, Black rice flour, Enkir flour, etc…)
- Dough with Kamut flour
- Dough with pre-prepared products (Soya – Cereals)
- Gluten Free dough
- Pizza with paddle and Roman style tray-baked Pizza
- Neapolitan Pizza (Traditional Speciality with Guaranteed Protected Status)
- Pizza as a dessert
Professors of Pizza making
- In depth lessons with theoretical and practical seminars held by professional Pizza Chefs
The dry small pastries to accompany tea and coffee and varieties of biscuits
- Lady’s Kisses, Ugly but Good (Brutti ma buoni), Corn flour biscuits, Cat’s tongue biscuits, Shortbread Biscuits
The fresh small pastries, the Italian creams and the traditional cakes
- Custard cream, chocolate cream, Zabaione cream, coffee cream for Bignè filling and Funghetti Bignè
- Shortbread dough for production of jam tart and cake with custard cream and fresh fruits, Paradise cake, Sacher cake, sponge for production of cake filled with Italian style creams
Creamy desserts for restaurants
- Chocolate pudding from Piedmont (Bonet), chocolate mousse, Panna cotta, Tiramisù
Chocolate tempering technique, chocolates and chocolate decorations
Bakery products for breakfast
- Italian style croissant, Sicilian Cannoli, Bomboloni (Krapfen), chocolate Girella and Trecce
Food safety and HACCP
- Notions of microbiology applied to food
- Main CDF (Communicable Diseases with Food)
- Main systems for food storage
- Sanitary procedures (hygiene in the workplace, personal hygiene)
- HACCP system
- Correct choice of materials and articles in contact with food
Theory on food nutrition
- Nutrition as food science: areas of application in modern society, in support of the culinary sector
- Composition of a balanced menu from the healthy point of view
- Nutritional aspects of various foods (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, fibers and vitamins) and food pyramid
- Information on the composition of a balanced diet from the dietary and healthy point of view
Theory on the Mediterranean Diet
- Concepts about the food balance of different raw materials with basic notions on the Mediterranean Diet
- Mention of the main raw materials symbol of the Mediterranean Diet and names of recipes that reflect the healthy aspect of the Mediterranean Diet
- Notions about other Culinary Culture of the Mediterranean emblems of this diet
Professional Intership (optional)
The student can choose whether to continue the program of the course by performing a period of internship lasting a total of 8 weeks at medium-high level pizzerias previously selected by the Institute.
The accommodation and meals will be provided by the pizzeria hosting the student.
The fee for the Course on Pizza is 4.800,00 Euro. It is possible to enroll for periods of one week, the fee for each weekly module is of 1.500,00 Euro. The fee for the Course includes:
- Accommodation at the ICIF guesthouse in small apartments (comprising of two bedrooms with one, two or three beds and a bathroom) and breakfast service
- Meals at the Institute from Monday to Saturday (the School is closed on Sundays and on national holidays)
- Theoretical-practical lessons as indicated in the program
- Teaching materials (recipe booklets, audio-video systems, etc.)
- Food and wine products for the lessons and tastings
- Use of the equipment and utensils during lessons in the different laboratories
- A full Chef’s uniform: a Chef’s jacket with the ICIF logo, a pair of Chef’s pants, an apron with the ICIF logo and a bandana with the ICIF logo
- Assistance during the Course for the issuing of the permit of stay document and for the Italian tax identification number
- Group transfers from Torino-Caselle or Milano Malpensa airports upon arrival in Italy (only if in groups, for individual participants the fee for the transfer will be at their own expense)
- Diploma from the Institute on completion of the course
Anything else not expressly specified above is not included.
Scholarships are available to participants of Italian nationality who are resident in Italy. To find out how to apply please contact us or call the ICIF Institute in Costigliole d’Asti.
For further information about the courses please fill out and send us the following form.