Course on Italian GelatoFour weeks of theoretical and practical lessons carried out by professional teachers to learn the art of making Italian ice cream and strategies to open a store. Possibility to carry out a training period at selected artisans.
ICIF has created a specific training program for the Ice cream industry: the Course on Italian Gelato. A 4-weeks training course of theoretical and practical lessons at the Institute, the program of the course allows you to undertake, through an integrated approach between theory and practical skills, a profession that give unlimited satisfaction as well as personal and professional growth in the context of the true Italian tradition. Through a relatively brief training period, the student learns from a great Master Ice Cream maker, promoter of the Italian Artisan Gelato, Massimo Conti, who introduces also the beginners, to the world of the Italian Gelato, starting from the organoleptic composition of the raw materials in order to learn the techniques for the preparation of properly balanced ice creams, sorbet and granites, the student at the end of the course is able to create and study his own recipes for any flavor of ice cream, offering flavors appropriate to the tastes and local customs of his own Country. The training program is also complemented by basic concepts for the food industry such as the HACCP system, concepts related to projecting a classical artisan ice cream parlors or a central laboratory for a more industrial production, the Cake Design related to the ice cream world, modern and innovative trends such as the Gourmet Gelato or the Natural Gelato, and the correct pairing of Gelato with wines and spirits.
A training Course to become a professional Ice cream maker, a profession that is strongly required both in Italy and abroad.
The course is in Italian language and teachers are supported by an interpreter in English language.
Minimum numbers of partricipants: 12.
The Course has a total duration of 12 weeks:
- 4 weeks of theoretical and practical lessons at the Institute
- 8 weeks of internship (optional) at ice cream parlours previously selected by the Institute, members of the Academic Laboratory of Master ice cream makers
Those who can enroll are:
- Italian and foreign professionals of food and wine
- Italian and foreign food lovers and enthusiasts
Ice Cream: theoretical notions
- Ice Cream and its origins
- Ice Cream: artisan and business management
- Hygiene and HACCP: comprehension and study of health and sanitary regulations and food legislation
- Marketing and Management of an enterprise: an entrepreneurial approach
- Design of the Laboratory: study and analysis of three types of premises in order to identify different business categories
- The Retail Outlet: the takeaway area, the area with table service, integrated ice cream (coffee shop, patisserie)
The components of Ice Cream
- Analysis of raw materials and of compound ingredients: sugars
- Chemistry and physics of ice cream, weighing techniques and working methods
- The cyclical nature of the production process
- Creating your own recipe book: the bases and mixtures
- Formula for fruit ice cream and the importance of the refractometer
- The balance and support of management software
- Notes on sensory evaluation
- The components of ice cream according to the seasons
- The choice of ingredients: the protection of the consumer and insights on the sugars
- Ice-cream sundae, ice-cream cakes, “affogato” ice-creams, water-ice (“granita”), parfaits and sorbets
- Management economics and resources in the ice-cream parlor
- Technological support: preservation systems and storage
- The retail outlet: replication, limits and franchising
- Organic ice-cream
Practical techniques of specialization
- Art and decorations with chocolate and sugar
- The art of carving fruits and vegetables: the basic concepts
- Savoury ice-cream and use of alcohol
- Decorations for goblets and display trays (logs and zuccotti)
- Ice cream as restaurant dessert
- Single portion ice cream
Professional Intership (optional)
The student can choose whether to continue the programme of the Course by carrying out a period of internship lasting a total of 8 weeks at ice-cream parlours, previously selected by the Institute.
For the Ice-cream parlours who are unable to provide lodgings it will be at the discretion of the student to choose another Ice-cream parlour, otherwise the school can be of assistance to find alternative accommodation, which will be at the student’s expense together with meals.
The fee for the Course on Ice-cream is 4.800,00 Euro. It is possible to enroll for a 1 week period, the fee for each weekly module is of 1.500,00 Euro. The fee for the course includes:
- Accommodation at the ICIF Guesthouse in small apartments (comprising of two bedrooms with one, two or three beds and a bathroom) and breakfast service
- Meals at the Institute from Monday to Saturday (the School is closed on Sundays and on national holidays)
- Theoretical-practical lessons as indicated in the program
- Teaching materials (recipe booklets, audio-video systems, etc.)
- Food and wine products for the lessons and tastings
- Use of the equipment and utensils during lessons in the different laboratories
- A full Chef’s uniform: a Chef’s jacket with the ICIF logo, a pair of Chef’s pants, an apron with the ICIF logo and a bandana with the ICIF logo
- Assistance during the Course for the issuing of the temporary residence permit and for the Italian tax identification number
- Group transfers from Torino-Caselle or Milano Malpensa airports upon arrival in Italy (only if in groups, for individual participants the fee for the transfer will be at their own expense)
- Diploma from the Institute on completion of the course
Anything else not expressly specified above is not included.
Scholarships are available to participants of Italian nationality who are resident in Italy. To find out how to apply please contact us or call the ICIF Institute in Costigliole d’Asti.
For further information about the courses please fill out and send us the following form.